Cefuroxime Axetil tablets USP 250 and 500mg
Cefuroxime axetil tablets contain cefuroxime as cefuroxime axetil. Cefuroxime axetil is a semisynthetic, broad-spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic for oral administration.
Cefuroxime axetil is indicated for the treatment of mild to moderately severe infections caused by micro-organism susceptible cefuroxime, such as:
- Upper respiratory tract infection: acute, sinusitis, tonsillitis and pharyngitis
- Acute bronchitis, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis
- Lower uncomplicated urinary tract infection: cystitis
- Skin and soft tissue infections: furunculosis, pyodermas, and impetigo
- Treatment of early-stage Lyme disease (stadium 1) and subsequent prevention of late complications in adults and children above 12 years of age. Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.Posology and Method of AdministrationCefuroxime axetil tablets are coated to mask their taste: they should not be chewed.
The usual duration of therapy is 7 days (ranging from 5 to 10 days). In case of pharyngotonsillitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, a therapy duration of at least 10 days is indicated. The duration of treatment of early Lyme disease should be 20 days. In order to achieve optimum absorption cefuroxime, axetil tablets should be taken shortly after meals.
The dosage depends on the severity of the infection. For severe infections, parenteral forms of cefuroxime are recommended. Where appropriate cefuroxime axetil is effective when used following initial parenteral cefuroxime sodium in the treatment of pneumonia and acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis